Return from Suspension - Good Citizenship Petition
Returning to Syracuse University from an extended forced absence is a time when you may be anxious, scared, nervous, angry, and excited all at the same time. Requesting to return to campus to complete your degree is a difficult decision yet should be one of which you are proud. Your time away was designed to provide you with opportunities for self-reflection and growth. It is our hope that when you return, you are stronger and are prepared to complete your studies successfully.
In order to request to return, you are required to complete and submit a Good Citizenship Petition. Requirements of a Good Citizenship Petition may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A Personal Statement
- Evidence of Academic Progress and/or Gainful Employment During Your Time Away from Syracuse University
- Official Transcript from Any Institution You May Have Attended
- Paystub and/or a Letter on Company Letterhead Which Clearly Verifies Your Dates of Employment and Scope of Your Work
- Written Verification of Community Service - specific number of hours to complete would be in your suspension letter
- Completion of an Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Program to the Satisfaction of the Syracuse University Counseling Center's Options Program
- Completion of an Anger Management Program to the Satisfaction of the Syracuse University Counseling Center
- Letters of Recommendation Attesting to Your Good Citizenship, Maturity and Readiness to Return to Syracuse University
The specific requirements for your Good Citizenship Petition were included in your suspension outcome letter. You should review that letter to verify the information that you must complete and submit with your petition. Your Petition should be submitted according to the date in your suspension outcome letter. After the Petition submission date has passed, your Petition will be reviewed in the order it was received. You will receive email communications regarding its status and whether any information is missing.
You may submit your Good Citizenship Petition through any of the following methods:
- Submit your Petition items online at: http://studentconduct.syr.edu/SuspensionPetitionForm.
- Mail your Petition to Readmission Coordinator, Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, 310 Steele Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244.
- Fax your Petition to 315.443.9118.
If you are cleared to return to Syracuse University, you will receive a letter detailing any conditions of your return and instructions on how to proceed with the academic registration process. If you are not cleared to return, you will receive detailed information informing you of the reason(s).
If you have any questions about your Petition or the readmission process, contact our office.